Rogers Communications and Sony Computer Entertainment Canada announced today that Rogers will provide exclusive wireless connectivity for the 3G-enabled PlayStation Vita launching in Canada this fall. With a wireless connection, PS Vita owners will now have the ability to remain connected to their content and gaming community over the Rogers wireless network.
“PlayStation Vita with a 3G connection will completely transform the way Canadian gamers play on the go, offering new ways to play games and interact with entertainment,” said Stephen Turvey, Vice President and General Manager, SCEC. “With access to the Rogers 3G wireless network, PlayStation Vita owners will be able to stay connected with their friends and experience PS Vita’s rich social gaming features virtually wherever they are.”
PS Vita systems with an active Rogers data package will also take advantage of software functionality developed specifically for the 3G-enabled model that allow users to game at the speed of their mobile lifestyle, including turn-based, asynchronous multiplayer gameplay, instantly updated rankings and leaderboards, immediate access to the latest downloadable add-on content, and real-time community news.
“Canadians want to live connected lives, and we are enabling another world-leading internet experience through working with Sony to deliver the next mobile gaming innovation to Canadians,” said Mansell Nelson, Vice-President, Machine to Machine at Rogers. “By powering wireless connectivity, we will enhance mobile gaming through delivering a convenient and seamless experience to hundreds of thousands of PlayStation Vita users across Canada.”
Wireless enablement and a seamless payment interface will be built into the PS Vita system through a specialized SIM card powered by the Rogers Control Centre.
PS Vita owners will have the ability to activate data packages directly on their device. Rogers will offer two data packages on a month-to-month basis with no long term contract. Two plans will be available at launch including:
1. 250 MB for $15.00, 30-day data package which starts at the date and time of purchase
2. 5 GB for $35, 30-day data package which starts at the date and time of purchase
PS Vita also features a wide range of social networking features developed specifically for the system that provide unique, handheld entertainment experiences:
- Location-based application “near” will allow users to find out what other PS Vita owners in their vicinity are currently playing and what titles are most popular in the area. “near” also enables location-based gaming features such as “gifting,” in which a user can access virtual game-related items that other users are sharing by checking in at geographic locations. For example, in the popular kart racing series ModNation Racers: Road Trip, PS Vita users will be able to collect rare gift items provided through the game when visiting specific points of interest in 45 major cities around the world. They can then share them with other PS Vita owners through the “near” application.
- “LiveArea™” is an interactive interface for each PS Vita software title in which users can access the latest information for games through PlayStation®Network.
- In addition, a variety of social networking and communications services such as Facebook, Flickr, foursquare, and Twitter will be available on PS Vita.
The PlayStation®Vita 3G/Wi-Fi Launch Bundle includes a download voucher for two great exclusive PS Vita games* – Gravity Rush™ and Unit 13™, and will be available at major electronics retailers in Canada on October 2 for $299.99. Rogers data packages are priced separately and will be available on a month-to-month basis. Users can easily activate a data package directly from their PS Vita system. For more information on the 3G-enabled lineup for PlayStation Vita, please visit www.playstation.ca. For the complete array of Rogers offerings, visit www.rogers.com/m2m.